Why Would You Want To Become A Florist?
It takes more than an interest in flowers to become a florist.
If you currently have a professional job and want to change your profession to do something you like, why not? Doing something you love and make money out of it, what more could you ask for?
If you have a flower shop, you are your own boss. That is heaven for you. You can never be ordered around anymore. Everything is controlled by you.
If you want satisfaction in your work, having a career as a florist can give you that.
One, you touch people's emotions with flowers. Your flowers are there whenever they celebrate the important moments in their lives.
Two, you get satisfation when you use your creativity and create an arrangement.
If you want to spend quality time with your children, start by doing flower arrangements from home. Start from there and work your way to own a flower shop of your own. You get to be surrounded by the children you love and flowers
you love. Isn't that wonderful?
Or you already have a hobby of flower arranging and need to open your own flower shop and become a florist professionally. You need to know where to get your financing, how to choose a location for your shop, shop concept and decorating and where
to get the supplies. You have to know management as well to become a florist.
Now, you know why you want to be a florist? What are the requirements?
Requirements To Become A Florist
- First and foremost, you have to have an interest in flowers. If you do, nothing in your course of work as a
florist, will make you feel that it is a job.
- You have to have creativity in arranging flowers. Anyone can arrange flowers to make a bouquet but how is your bouquet different from the other florists? Customer want quality and exclusive designs. Everyone wants to feel special.
- You have to have a good color coordination. Your design is creative but with bad color combination, the whole arrangement looks bad. Beautiful colors and original design makes a sellable flower arrangement.
- A florist needs to have a good personality. A pleasant personality. She needs to portray herself as someone approachable.
- A florist also must be able to read a customer's mind. You should know what to offer her. These are the skills
of sell something. This skill is essential to a florist, too.
- Last but not least, you also must understand the urgency if a customer requests it. If the customer orders at the very last minute, you must understand the urgency of the situation and keep the dateline.
When you become a florist, you also must understand what are your responsibilities...
Responsibilities As A Florist
- Unpacking of stock when the shipment arrives.
- Conditioning the flowers.
- Attend to customers who walk-in, who contact thru phone and e-mail.
- Maintain the cleanliness and attractiveness of the shop.
- Managing money that goes in and out.
- Making arrangements to sell and display at the shop.
These are some of the main responsibilities as a florist. If you are up for it, check out where you can study to become a florist.
The flower industry is gaining more and more sales each year. Take this opportunity and be part of it. Become a florist. Do something that you actually like.
Where to study flower arrangement
In order to learn floristry, you need to enrol into a floral design school. But how do you choose a good floral design school?
Another alternative for you, if you do not want to spend thousands of dollars on floral courses, you can always get flower arrangement ebooks that will teach you about floral design.
You can learn all the things a floral designer needs to know. From color basics right up to designing for weddings and holidays.
For retail flower shop owner wannabes, Click here for my recommended book on Guide To Become A Florist.
This book is definitely worth reading if you plan to become a florist and open up a flower shop.
The tools florists use...
As a florist, you need florist tools and supplies to make your flower arrangement work easier. Find out what are the tools you need.
Apart from tools, as a florist, you need material supplies like ribbons, balloons, etc. Find out what other floral wholesale supplies you need.
Here are the flower container types available in the market for you to make your flower arrangements.
Learn about floral foams here.
Useful Skills As A Florist
Besides flower arranging, a florist also need to acquire other useful skills, like...
- Ribbon bow tying
Learn how to tie bows like butterfly bow, french bow and double butterfly bow and other bow designs.
- Napkin Folding
Learn napkin folding techniques to make facy designs to decorate wedding tables at weddig receptions.
Here are more resources on becoming a florist...
Return From Become A Florist to Flower Arranging For Hobbyists home page